Thursday, April 28, 2011

- Breathing -

With a single breath we are given life and with one breath we can loose life; it's the breaths in between that matter most. Over the weekend, as we remembered Christ's death and celebrated his life and resurrection, a close friend lost his dad to a massive heart attack and another close friend welcomed their first child into the world. The stark contrast of emotions in the last few days have been amazing, though ringing of the same tone: life is precious and short and we have a choice in what we do with it.

I have heard pastors conducting funerals often use the phrase "what are you doing with your dash?". The idea being that when you die, your tombstone displays your birthday, a "-" , and then your last day. That one little, tiny line tells a story. I have been asking myself what kind of story my "-" tells, seeking honest answers. I have been assured of many things, but also faced with the reality that if you were to zoom in on that little line, you would also see some messy things. One mess in particular is the looming word "busy". Used in a sentence? "I'm sorry, I'm busy that day", "ya, I'm doing really well, I've been keepin' busy" or "I'm so sorry I havent gotten back to you, I've been super crazy-busy" (not just "busy", but "crazy-busy"… as if we needed help getting our point across). I dont want to get to the end of my "-" and have been "busy". I want to get to the end and know that every speck of that little line was used to cultivate relationships, have fun, explore my gifts and talents, restore relationships, accomplish great things (big and small), experience the world and it's Creator, act justly, love mercy, humbly walk with Him and breathe. So, today's blog (I know, I havent been very good at blogging! I'm trying to make this a regular part of my "-") is dedicated to the breaths that were taken and the full, blessed life that was lived by Gary Field (December 27, 1955 - April 23, 2011), to the breaths and adventures that are still to be taken in the life of Aurora Cate Barr (born April 25, 2011), and to the wonderful friends, family and ever-loving God that grace my "-" and bring joy, peace, restoration, adventure and healing to even the simplest of breaths.  May you live a very full "-"


If to distant lands I scatter
If I sail to farthest seas
Would You find and firm and gather?
'Til I only dwell in Thee?

If I flee from greenest pastures
Would You leave to look for me?
Forfeit glory to come after?
'Til I only dwell in Thee

If my heart has one ambition
If my soul one goal to seek
This my solitary vision
'Til I only dwell in Thee
That I only dwell in Thee
'Til I only dwell in Thee
("Hymn" by Brooke Fraser)


1 comment:

  1. Amber - you truly have a gift of sharing your wonderful experiences through words. I really enjoy your blogs! Awesome! You know that I wish I was there with you to experience first hand...but thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete